We've just moved our Exchange 5.5 Cluster on Windows NT 4.0, SP6a from
fiber based storage to scsi based storage. I evicted a node and rebuilt it
and restored from Backup. This allowed us to keep Exchange running up till
the point we werer ready to restore on the new storage.

We're ready to add the second node to the new cluster. We're wondering if
it's possible to build the second node as a Windows 2000 server and join
it to the 4.0 based cluster. It seems like this might be possible based on
reading the MS roling upgrade white paper.
The idea is to add the 2000 server to the cluster, move Exchange to it and
then evict and rebuild the first node with Windows 2000. This way we would
avoid doing an OS upgrade, we'd be working with clean installs of 2000
which has always been preferable in my experience.

Thanks for any suggestions, or experiences you can share.