Agreed; the reports of WINS's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Ed Crowley MCSE+Internet MVP kcCC+I
Tech Consultant
hp Services

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Dupler, Craig
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 9:47 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Question

Seemingly an incredibly mundane thread that probably would have drawn
some flames in earlier times.  [My hasn't this list gotten civil
lately.]

Isn't it odd that just as we are getting pretty far along with the
elimination of WINS, that we are also well along in beginning to
recognize that we need to reinvent it?!

Name resolution is a curious thing.  You send a name resolution service
a name that is structured within the rules of some system (probably
overlaid with a private taxonomy of some sort), and it returns an
address (relative or fully qualified - as networks seldom care so long
as it works).

WINS had this interesting attribute of being somewhat independent of the
underlying network addressing system, so it could resolve TCP/IP,
SPX/IPX or even NetBIOS addresses.  It also played a role in some
networks for mapping either or both SPX/IPX or NetBIOS over IP.  Of
course one of the problems with this flexibility, is that it allowed
names that were not copasetic with DNS, and thus got in the way of
moving us toward full TCP/IP interoperability the way we need to.

So here we are, fully planted in a DNS world (well most of us are), and
we are finding that there are things beyond DNS and TCP/IP with which we
are having some 'issues.'  It shows up most in the VoIP world where a
fusion with SS7 and other telephony systems is a requirement.  But there
are also those pesky 'Inbox Assistant' items that are 'missing.'  So how
do you get an LDAP query (hidden behind an Inbox Assistant script of
course) to return the IP address currently assigned to the MAC address
on the device where I was last fully authenticated so a notification of
some sort (say something like "one ringy dingy . . .") can be sent?  One
thing for sure, DNS isn't going to help, and LDAP is just a an access
protocol, not an information model.  Sad, because people were so fond of
LDAP, and yet it didn't solve all that much and probably wasn't all that
important in the greater scheme of things.

John Strassner over at Intelliden (used to be a fellow at Cisco) has
been working on these kinds of problem (from the 'other side') for a
long time. John's work tackles the problems that DNS does not support
from the perspective of network management, but the missing application
functionality leads to the same place.

We are at best, in a very very primitive world relative to the evolution
of directories and name services.  We have a long way to go.