No, you don't need to restore to the same OS, but why does the machine name
need to be the same (thinking of the much easier Ed Crowley Move Server
Method detailed in the FAQ).

-----Original Message-----
From: Dolphin, Jeff
To: Exchange Discussions
Sent: 8/15/2002 4:03 PM
Subject: Reinstall Exchange to new server...different OS?

Hello, We are upgrading our Exchange (5.5sp4) server hardware.
Currently it
runs on an older Dell with NT4 sp6 and is 1 of 2 BDC's.  I would like to
re-install to a newer box keeping the same server name but I would like
the
OS on the new box to be 2k server.  Does it matter if the server OS is
different as long as the Exchange config (site name,partitions, etc...)
are
exactly the same as the old box?  Or MUST I reinstall to NT4 (sp6 like
the
original) in order for this to be successful.

PS...NT4 domain. No AD.  Thanks for any advice you have!