From: kanee [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 10:52 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: HELP, can I change the name of the exchange server?

Right now renaming a e2k server is hard. Since it uses AD renaming the
netbios name is not a good idea unless you are very familiar with ADSI
edit utility. IT seems simple enough to change the netbios name but I am
not sure that all instances of that name will get changed in the AD
structure, its just like renaming a domain, right now you can rename a
child domain but you have ti do a lot of stuff thru adsi edit to make it
work because not all instances of the domain name get changed in the AD
structure, not to mention the changes in the registry. That's why they
have made it easier to rename the child domains in .NET. But I moved a
exchange server from ny to ma, changed ips put it into a completely
different ip scheme and it worked like a charm, given that changing an
IP is much easier than renaming, but I think you should be ok to rename
as long as you make sure the new name has an account in the domain, all
your wins records are updated and your dns records are updated.

But if you are so concerned about the bug on the old server, once you
move all the mailboxes to the new server, why don't you just remove the
old server from the site, that way the old server is totally out of the
picture. JUST MAKE SURE YOUR MX RECORDS ARE POINTED TO THE RIGHT SERVER,
ALSO IF YOU DO THIS AND REMOVE THE OLD SERVER OUT OF THE SITE THEN YOU
MIGHT HAVE TO MANUALLY EDIT ALL THE OUTLOOK PROFILES. SO I SUGGEST
MOVING ALL MAILBOXES OVER TO NEW SERVER, MAKE THE MX RECORD POINT TO NEW
SERVER THEN MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MAIL FLOW FOR A DAY, IN ONE DAY MAKE SURE
ALL YOUR CLIENTS CONNECT TO EXCHANGE SERVER, THIS WAY ALL THEIR OUTLOOKS
ARE UPDATED AUTOMATICALLY WITH THE NEW SERVER NAME AND THEN REMOVE THE
OLD SERVER OUT OF THE SITE. HOPE THIS HELPS...GOOD LUCK :-)