I got the exports to work successfully. Thanks to the people who recommended
the newer version of ExMerge.
HOWEVER, on stage 2 things fail miserably. When I specify the server to
import the mnessages to I get an "error getting informaiton store db." No
matter where I run the ExMerge from using the same XCH svc account I used to
export the messages.
If I try to do a 1 step the 1st half works okay and the second half fails
with:

[09:49:38] Successfully completed copying mailbox 'Hamilton, Brenda' to file
'E:\EXMERGEDATA\BRENDA HAMILTON.PST'.
[09:49:39] Merging data from file 'E:\EXMERGEDATA\BRENDA HAMILTON.PST' to
mailbox 'Hamilton, Brenda' ('BRENDA HAMILTON') on server 'AJC-MAIL1'.
[09:49:40] Error extracting information from server DN ''
(CMapiSession::GetInfoFromProfile)
[09:49:40] Errors encountered. Copy process aborted for mailbox 'Hamilton,
Brenda' ('BRENDA HAMILTON').

I looked this up in MS KB and tried the suggested Priv DS/IS consistency
check which completed successfully but still no go. Same error. Source
server is nt4/xch 5.5 sp3/nt sp 5
Target is win2k/xch 5.5 sp4/win2k sp2

Any experience with these errors?