Thanks for all your replies..Ed..Jennifer...
Ok, if some one can throw some light on what is wrong with this picture, I
will really appreciate that. Here is how the permissions are assigned on
each of these components:
****************
Exchange Server 2000 Enterprise, Sp3

        C:--O/S---------Everyone (Full Control)?

        D:---Exchange---- Everyone (Full Control)?

        E:--------mdb Database----Everyone (Full Control)?

        ADUC: "Everyone" has full access in any users "Mailbox Rights"
        "Authenticated users" has full access in any users "Mailbox Rights"
        "Domain Users" has full access in any users "Mailbox Rights"
        (Where is this getting inherited from? I cannot remove these
permissions at this level)

        ESM(Server level):  "Authenticated users"--READ,WRITE,EXECUTE,READ
PERMISSIONS,LIST                        CONTENTS,READ PROPERTIES, WRITE
PROPERTIES.
                        "Domain Users"--All permissions except Full
                        "Everyone"--READ,WRITE,EXECUTE,READ PERMISSIONS,LIST
CONTENTS,READ                                   PROPERTIES, WRITE PROPERTIEs

        ESM(Mailbox Store level): "Everyone Group"--Read,Execute, Read
permissions, List       contents, Read Properties, write properties,list
object,Recieve as, send as.

                "Domain Users"--All permissions except Full

                "Authenticated users"--- same as everyone group.

TIA

Raj