From: LSeltzer
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2002 11:26 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Cc: DGuillermo; VDelbene
Subject: Unable to convert 5.5 KM/Certificate encrypted messages to Exch2k

I have a feeling this topic has been talked about, but I'm having lots of
trouble searching the archives on SWYNK. Everything I'm returning is
unrelated. Either/or, if this has been talked about, if anyone would be so
kind as to reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and offer a way to search the
archives, or if that is not the case, here is the issue:

We are running Exchange 5.5 SP4 with KM server and Certificate Authority
running on the same Windows 2000 server. We have thousands of encrypted
messages that must upgrade with the server. Microsoft's PSS (2nd level) has
the problem and seems stomped. We are attempting to do an 'in-place' upgrade
from 5.5 to 2K, but when we perform the upgrade and copy the KMS database
directory over, we're unable to start the KM Server Service. We're getting
this:

"Could not start the Microsoft Exchange Key Management Service on Local
Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal
Windows error or an internal Service error. If the problem persists, contact
your system administrator."

No events are generated by the error.

Any suggestions? (applicable ones, that is...)

Regards,

Larry Seltzer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee named above. This e-mail may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the named
addressee, you are not authorized to retain, read, copy or disseminate this
message or any part of it. In addition, you are hereby notified that any
use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this communication is
strictly prohibited.

The sender of this message does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message that arise as a result of e-mail
transmission. This message is provided for informational purposes and should
not be construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities.

Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this