Here's the procedure for restoring Windows 2000 to different hardware that I
developed and tested fairly well. It was developed around Legato Networker,
but should work for any sort of backup/restore.

Windows 2000 Server Recovery to Different Hardware

1. INTRODUCTION
1.1 This document describes a method to restore Legato backups of a Windows
2000 server to different hardware than the original system.  This procedure
was developed and tested using Legato client version 6.0.3 and Windows 2000
service pack 2.

2. PROCEDURE
2.1 Install Windows 2000 server on the target hardware. Install the same
level service pack as on the original system. Insure that the disk
partitions have the same drive letters, are large enough, and are of the
same type (NTFS, FAT32, etc). The server must also have the same name and IP
address. Record the IP address for later use.
2.2 Install the Legato Client.
2.3 Run the Legato client. Select "Recover". On the "Options" menu, select
"Recover Options...", "Overwrite Existing File".
2.4 Mark all data drives as well as "SYSTEM DB", "SYSTEM FILES", and "SYSTEM
STATE".
2.5 Navigate through the file hierarchy and unmark
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\HAL*.DLL.
2.6 Start Recovery
2.7 After recovery is complete, attempt to reboot. The reboot process will
fail.
2.8 Boot to Windows 2000 CDROM. If needed, hit F6 and load SCSI drivers.
2.9 At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, hit "ENTER" to install Windows 2000.
2.10 Hit F8 to agree to the license terms.
2.11 Hit "R" at the prompt to "repair" the existing Windows 2000
installation.
2.12 Complete the Windows 2000 installation and reboot.
2.13 Re-install the appropriate Windows 2000 service pack.
2.14 Re-install the appropriate version of IE.
2.15 Re-install any hotfixes that were installed originally.

3. CLEANUP
3.1 If desired, remove unneeded devices and drivers via the device manager.
3.2 Verify that the network card TCPIP settings can be viewed. If you
receive an error stating that you must install a network card before you can
set TCPIP parameters, follow the procedure in Appendix A.
3.3 Verify applications.

 APPENDIX A

1. REINSTALL NETWORK CARD
1.1 From the control panel device manager, delete the network card.
1.2 Start regedit. Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interf
aces.
1.3 Each subkey represents a network interface. Delete the subkey that
represents the ethernet adapter (look at the subkey's IPAddress entry and
match to the server's IP address).
1.4 Use the control panel "Add/Remove hardware" applet to search for new
hardware. It should find the ethernet adapter and install drivers for it
(you may need a third party disk).
1.5 The ethernet adapter will be installed to use DHCP for settings. Change
the network card to the appropriate settings (IP address, DNS, WINS, speed,
duplex).