Good luck - trying to do the same thing myself.  I had assumed you'd already
gotten the OK for a policy.

Try making an argument in terms of money - are you using Enterprise version?
If not, explain the growth patterns you're seeing, hard limit on the
Standard IS, and how much it'd cost to upgrade to Enterprise, buy more
disks, or another server vs. just imposing limits (no cost, but
inconvenience and user responsibility).  It's helped me to try and show the
money people the inevitability of having limits, and also to give them the
power to choose their own.  Unfortunately, if the money folks decide that
the business needs a holy freakin' ton of mail, they'll at least know what
it'll cost to support it.

John J. Steniger
Network and Security Manager
Familymeds, Inc.