I think you can adjust the size of replication messages.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Hill [mailto:JHill@;jennison.com]
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 12:09 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: PF replication

Is there a limit to the number of public folders one can replicate at any
one time?

I have maybe 400 PFs, all but ten of which were until recently homed on my
5.5 server.  We'd like to get rid of the 5.5 box so we've been trying for
several months now to replicate the folders to our E2K cluster.

The first time we tried this I did all the folders at once:  I used ESM to
add the E2K server name in the Replicas tab of each top-level folder and I
propagated changes to the children.  Within a couple of days I noticed that
some folders appeared emptier, and I soon confirmed that not only was
replication not 100% successful, but some of the E2K replicas were actually
*losing* data over time.  One folder had 1281 items on the 5.5 server but
1235 on the E2K.  Two days later the E2K server had 1201 items.  Ten days
later it had 50.  Since only one user had the delete permissions, I knew I
couldn't blame the users.

I removed the E2K server from the Replicas tab, waited a day and tried
again, this time changing replication priority to Urgent.  Same result.  I
ran isintegs on the 5.5 and the E2K public stores and even replaced the E2K
public store outright a couple of times.  Nothing has helped.

Then I tried doing smaller and smaller groups of folders with priority at
Urgent and at Normal.  Same result.  Finally about a week ago I did one
batch of 100 folders.  After comparing 5.5 Admin's Public Folder Resources
against ESM's Public Folder Instances, I determined that about 60 folders
had fully replicated, so I removed the 5.5 replica from those folders.  I
then stopped and restarted replication on the remaining 40, and got about
ten more.  The next try netted four more, and since then I've been
replicating three folders at a time, which has been successful but slow.

Any ideas about what the problem might be?

The E2K Cluster is running W2K AS SP2 and E2K SP3.  The SRS server has W2K
Server SP2 and E2K SP3.  E2K SP3 has been applied to the AD Connector server
as well.  The 5.5 box is running NT4SP6a and E5.5 SP4.