I have seen people in the past post that they follow that methodology.
Personally, I find it foolish at best.

A quick scan of the update logs for our client side AV solution shows that
there are always out of date clients - generally probably on the order of
5-10%. Considering over half our workforce has laptops, that doesn't
surprise me.

I do find it surprising to think that people wouldn't feel uncomfortable at
best relying on something as distributed as client side AV protection, when
a relatively small number of boxes can be more easily managed, and more
easily forced to be current.

Not to say I don't run client side, but email AV belongs at the server leve.

Roger D. Seielstad - MCSE
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis - Formerly Harbinger and Extricity
Atlanta, GA