Exchange 2k, sp2, 2gigs ram, 1cpu. (in a native mode child domain)

Mssdmn.exe is using high CPU, and when I terminal serviced into the server to see why
mail was running so slow, I saw two instances of mssdmn.exe.  This has happened before
and it goes away after an hour but during that hour, client access to mail and
searches are extremely slow.

I checked Google and support.Microsoft.com but only hits were for SQL Server indexing
issue.  Anyone know of any issues with indexing on an exchange 2k server?

Any hints would be helpful before I end up calling PSS.

Thanks in advance.

Wilson