$arse1 reporting for duty. Chris has everything right here, especially
about how to think of accounts and mailboxes. There are dozens of fields
that you can test for to determine whether or not an account is
mailbox-enabled. One such field is "msExchHomeServerName".

The other item to note here is that most of the code routines used to
mailbox-enable someone will simply fail if the account is already
mailbox-enabled, so you really do not have to be too concerned with it. A
good example is the Exchange Migration Wizard's ability to flip contacts
into mailboxes. If you happen to run it against a pre-existing mailbox, it
simply does nothing. So, no harm, no foul.

Ronald, I strongly urge you to read up on accounts/contacts, mail-enabled
accounts/contacts and mailbox-enabled accounts. You still seem to be
speaking in E55 terminology and it is a whole new ball game in E2K and AD.
BTW, what HR system are you interfacing with? More and more of them are
starting to provide connectors with AD.