I have ony found one solution to this type of problem and it is called an
Email Archival system. I have no idea why this type of a solution is not
more popular. It gets the information out of the Exchange stores and off
user's hard drives and onto permanent storage on CD's or DVD's. The
systems they have now integrate quite well with Exchange, provide advanced
security capabilities and include full-text searching capabilities. And
users can access the systems via a web browser.

Why more people do not use these systems is anyone's guess. Apparently
most email admins out there are content with draconian storage policies or
catering to users like poor Russell who is personally buring CD's. It can
all be automated and you can have the best of all worlds. Email Archival
systems folks, they have been around for a long time and work quite well.

I recommend them to nearly every client that I work for because there is
so much business knowledge in email that it is almost criminal the way
some companies blast it from their systems after only a week or two. If
they actually understood and appreciated the amount of knowledge and
business process information that they were losing, they would never do
such an incredibly stupid thing.

And Craig, I have to disagree with you about user provided storage.
Individuals have consistently proven that they simply cannot store,
organize and process large amounts of data. If I received as much snail
mail as email, my entire house would be full of unorganized stacks of
crap. Proper storage of business information should reside on business
systems, not on personally provided storage. Centralization and automation
of storage is incredibly more efficient and productive than individual
users storing their own information.