Thank you Greg for the information.

I apologize if I offended you or anyone else with my apparent stupid
question and terminology.

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Deckler [mailto:greg@;infonition.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 6:28 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Re: Installing an internet mail connector

First of all, in E55, it is the Internet Mail Service. Second, man; not to
be rude, but do a little research. I mean, go into the E55 Administrator
program and hit the freakin' help menu. I pulled this DIRECTLY from Books
Online:

"You can add an Internet Mail Service to a site that has an existing
service. Only one Internet Mail Service can be installed on a single
server.

You should consider adding another Internet Mail Service when:

Backlogs regularly build up in one of the Internet Mail Service queues.
A backup computer is required to eliminate any interruption of the mail
transfer between the Microsoft Exchange Server site and the other SMTP
hosts.
When your site has more than one Internet Mail Service, you should
consider the following:

If the amount of mail to specific domains on the SMTP messaging system can
be divided, consider configuring each of the Internet Mail Services to
process mail for specific domains only.
You can assign a cost to the address spaces of each Internet Mail Service.
This partially determines Internet Mail Service throughput and can be used
to optimize Internet Mail Service performance.
If incoming and outgoing mail to the SMTP messaging system is balanced,
consider configuring one Internet Mail Service to process incoming
messages and the other Internet Mail Service to process outgoing messages.
When you add a new Internet Mail Service, you may need to perform one or
more of the following tasks:

Modify the address space of existing Internet Mail Services depending upon
the address space you assign to the new Internet Mail Service.
Change the maximum number of inbound and outbound connections of existing
Internet Mail Services depending upon the number of inbound and outbound
connections you want to assign to the new Internet Mail Service.
Change the DNS or Hosts file to reflect the existence of the new Internet
Mail Service host.
Change the MX records in DNS to forward mail to a new Internet Mail
Service host if the primary Internet Mail Service is down or too busy."

Here is a brief step-by-step:
1. Start Exchange Server Administrator program.
2. On the File menu, click New Other, and then click Internet Mail
Service.
3. Finish the wizard with all the necessary information.