Hi guys,
I have a situation where Outlook is very slow over a VPN connection. If i
give u a bit
of history, on how i set this up then perhaps you can tell me where i went
wrong.

Firstly,  we have an office here in the UK where Exchange 5.5 server is
running on a PDC,
they can only afford one server,  so everything runs on it. During the day,
they have around 8 - 10
users connect locally to it for their daily work. They only really use it
for mail and Internet access,
and a bit of file/print. Last year i upgraded their Internet link to ADSL
and put up a proxy (winroute),
Everything was working fine.

The director has since move to New York to set up an office over there,  and
i set up his laptop
to VPN in to the server for his mail. Now he has set up an additional 3
users in this office who also
use the VPN to get mail and at times things can get slow. I told him using
the Internet for transport,
is gonna be slow at times due to the nature of the Internet.

However, i know i can speed things up because of the way i initially set
things up. Name resolution seems
to be my biggest headache. I have no DNS set up and use Netbui for name
resolution, so i guess this is gonna
add to the overhead.

Thus RAS has TCP/IP and NETBUEI enabled
Laptops in NY have TCP/IP and NETBUEI enabled
UK users are ok and have no problems. I would like to speed things up a bit
for the NY users.

I'm also confused with binding orders on the server and to what interfaces i
should bind all these
protocols to. The server has 2 nics,  one for the local net and the other
goes to the router for the
ADSL,  i guess i only need to bind this side right?

I guess DNS would be the best way forward for name resolution,  but as i say
i have no DNS server locally.
All mail arrives at a different domain (their web site host) who then
forward it to another domain, to pop 3 mail boxes
which i then get a program (igetmail)  to pick up and deliver to exchange
server.

When i ping the routers external and internal interfaces i get the IP
address and it resolves back to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The question i want to ask,  is what is the best way for me to set this up
for a quicker connection for outlook.
How do i set up the DNS on the router!

Any advice would be appreciated.

David

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE
This communication contains information which is confidential and may also
be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If
you are not the intended recipient please note that any distribution,
copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly
prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify us by
e-mail or by telephone (020 7770 7000) and then delete the e-mail and any
copies of it.