Is smtp fixup applied to the firewall, assuming it is Cisco. If it is take
it off.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bailey, Matt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Exchange Discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 10:07 AM
Subject: SMTP problem

I am my wits end with a problem I am having with my Exchange setup.

Environment: 2 Exchange 5.5 SP4 servers on an NT domain. (soon to be
upgraded)

We are doing the ground work to install spam filtering software and have
installed an SMTP relay server using the SMTP service built in to IIS. This
is a temporary solution until the filtering solution is brought into
production. IMS is setup to forward outgoing email to the SMTP relay. 99%
of the email goes out with no problem. I get around 10 messages a day
bounced back with the following error (or something similar):

smtp;550 Relaying is prohibited

The SMTP service is setup only to accept connections from selected IP's from
behind the firewall. It is also configured to forward incoming email to the
exchange server.

I have sent test messages to the same address that generated the bounced
email only to have it delivered to the recipient.

The reverse DNS on my domain is working and I haven't found our domain on
any open relay or spam lists.

I am hoping somebody has seen this before because I cannot pinpoint the
problem.

Suggestions are appreciated,

Matthew Bailey
LAN Engineer