For very small, single server environments, you can simply upgrade your
E55 server to E2K and this works fairly well, although I have seen some
minor issues in some of these migrations. Basic process is, install W2K
and AD, install ADC and then upgrade E2K server. There are good process
documents for doing this on Microsoft TechNet.

An alternative method is to install your E2K server into your E55 site and
move mailboxes from the E55 server to the E2K server. This allows you to
migrate people individually to the new environment and is not much more
work than upgrading, although you will need another server. You can even
do this method if you want to keep your existing hardware. Essentially,
install new E2K server, move users, upgrade or reinstall existing hardware
to E2K and then move users back. Basic process is, install W2K and AD,
install ADC and then install E2K server, move users, etc.

The final method is to migrate to an entirely new Exchange organization.
This involves a lot more work but is a good choice for very complex
organizations that do not want to bring over legacy "stuff" from the old
system. Basic process is to install W2K and AD, install E2K. Then use
EXMERGE or the Exchange Migration Wizard to migrate mailboxes.