Event ID:       1023
Date:           11/26/2002
Time:           12:44:13 PM
User:           N/A
Computer:       ERCEXCHANGE
HANFORD\hxxxxxxx was validated as
/o=HANFORD/ou=HANFORD/cn=Recipients/cn=hxxxxxxx but was unable to log on to
/o=HANFORD/ou=ERC/cn=Recipients/cn=JoeUser.

4.  In the error message above, "hxxxxxxx" is their domain logon name as
well as the primary account associated with the mailbox on their side.  They
use an 8-digit alphanumeric number to guarantee that everyone that has ever
worked on this job location (all way back to the '40's) has a unique ID
number.

5.  We have our own domain as well and exist as a site within their mail
org.  For our network accounts, we use an eight-character alphanumeric login
name as well, but with a different naming convention.  So...we associate the
mailbox in this site with our domain logon names.  However, when we create
the mailbox, in the optional attributes, there is one called
employee-number.  Both sites populate this field with the hxxxxxxx number
when the account is created.

6.  Now...this is where it starts to get complicated.  Someone on their side
has a C++ service that runs once a night against the GAL.  The service logs
into Exchange, extracts the hxxxxxxx number from the employee-number field
and compares that against PeopleCore.  If there are no dupes, it then grabs
all the organizational/location data for that employee and updates the
record in Exchange, which then replicates back to our site.  If there are
dupes, it kicks out an error message to the appropriate site admin, saying,
"Go fix it stupid!"

7.  Okay...I have verified that for each hxxxxxxx logon name that is logging
into their domain and getting an error in our server logs, that this is the
same "employee-number" that was associated with the mailbox when it was on
our side.

8.  I have found the following information on Technet, but I'm not running
Mailbox Manager, I'm not running MBClean and I have no problems starting the
Exchange Event or Internet Message Services.
        Q188594 -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188594
        Q237481 -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237481
        Q306308 -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306308
        Q158028 -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;158028 - This may
apply...I don't know if their Outlook profiles were deleted and recreated
after moving from one domain to the other.
        Q259578 -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259578

Don't even try Precht...I've already been to EventID.net and what I found
doesn't fit my situation:
http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1023&source=MSExchangeIS+Private

TIA folks,

James H (Jim) Blunt