I currently do something similar to the second option, using squid proxy
rather than mod_proxy. The squid box acts as an ssl accelerator, passing
only unencrypted traffic from the DMZ to the internal network. It also does
URL filtering for the common exploits.

Roger
Roger D. Seielstad - MCSE
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis - Formerly Harbinger and Extricity
Atlanta, GA