Kind ladies and gentlemen, looking for a little feedback on an Exchange mess
that I've been tasked with handling.

We're located in the USA and recently we purchased a company based out of
the UK.  The administration has asked me to consolidate the Exchange servers
(one at each company) into a single server.  Of course I protested
veheminently about having a single server for both the US and UK, gave them
many many reasons why it shouldn't be done, but ultimately the decision was
theirs....  AH well....

We're currently running Exch5.5 on an NT4 domain, and the purchased company
is running the same...  I am in the process of testing and preparing to
deploy Win2K and AD here in the USA...  After AD's in place I plan to
upgrade our Exch5.5 to Exch2K.

Now for the messy part...  I need to get the UK's mailboxes moved to our
Exch2K server...  What I was planning was this:  Upgrade their network to
Win2K as a child domain of ours...  Then using Exmerge, pull out their
mailboxes and transfer them to our Exchange server (they've only got a 600mb
priv.edb, so it's nothing compared to our 90Gb database)...  I've read on
migration strategies, etc, but nothing really covers moving mail from one
domain to another or if making them a child domain (basically creating a two
way transitive trust between the two domains) gets around the problem...

So the questions are these:  Can I make new mailboxes on the USA Exch2K
server from users in the child domain in the UK (I assume the answer is yes,
but I haven't gotten that far in testing yet and I'm just trying to avoid
some head banging if someone can tell me it can't be done)?   Is there an
easier way to accomplish this?  How can I move the Public folders to our
Exch server?

Thanks in advance for your kind wisdom.

Joe Pochedley
If you have time to do it twice,