I used to back up a 17GB+ Priv on a DDS3 tape drive without spanning tapes.
Something must be wrong with either the tape HW or the driver you are using.

Aaron

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Helfer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 11:06 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: NTbackup hardware compression ?

 I was wondering if hardware compression is generally effective when doing
an Exchange-aware NTbackup backup, or if the databases are already
compressed?

  I have a 12GB capacity DDS3 tape drive that I use to do on-line backups of
my Exchange server. I have made sure that I am either using the command line
switch /hc:on, or checking "hardware compression" in the NTbackup screeen.

  However, since my Priv.Edb creeped up to >12 Gig, the backup spans two
tapes.

  Could there be something I'm doing incorrectly, or is it time to get a
bigger tape drive, or an Exchange backup program that understands tape
loaders, or just deal with the additional pain of tape flipping?

 Thanks for any info

 Jim Helfer
WTW Architects
Pittsburgh PA