Thank all of you for your advice.
Ken Cornetet understood what I meant to say.

We are upgrading our PDC to Win2K, etc.  The exchange 5.5 server is in our
current domain and will be a member of the upgraded Win2K domain.  The
Exchange 5.5 server will continue to run under NT4 server.  [I'm
paraphrasing Mr. Cornetet's response to confirm that's our plan.]

Next (after an undertermined interval of time) will be to move to Exchange
2000 running on a win2k server box in the same Win2K domain.  I realize
that migration will take some planning and care, but I'm not asking for
advice on that move yet.

Thank you all.

-Keith