Still sounds at least partially MTU related. I'll spare you the gory
details, but there is about 50-60 bytes of overhead IIRC for VPN
encapsulation, which is why you're seeing an MTU top out at 1450 (ethernet I
believe is 1536).

Dial up connections are a bit trickier, depending on the hardware involved.
They have smaller MTU's IIRC, and some stick as low as 576, which is the
bare minimum allowed.

I'd start by setting the MTU to 576 and trying it. It will be slow, but it
should work. Then ratchet it up to 1200ish and test it.

Roger D. Seielstad - MCSE
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis - Formerly Harbinger and Extricity
Atlanta, GA