At 17:47 23-03-2003 +0000, you wrote:
> I recommend qmail, which is not only highly secure - it has
> NEVER had a security breach - but is also at least 4-5 times
> as fast as Sendmail, and much, much easier to set up and configure.

I know this question always stirs up a bit of a hornets nest amongst *nix
users, but which distro would you suggest for someone with sod-all *nix
knowledge looking to setup an MTA with spamassassin filtering?

Really?? I don't see why it should..

If you like to do things the hard way (like /me) you should go for Slackware. It's the best but also less friendly for Windows users. Pico is wat comes as close to a gui as it gets.. for those of you who don't know Pico, it's just as graphical as the good old edit on the DOS prompt. :-)
It even got some mouse support.. but who needs a mouse if you can do it with tapping some keys.. right?

More friendly distro's are RedHat, Suse both provide commercial support. I think Mandrake provides commercial support too. If you feel more like a free product then Debian is your distro.
Whatever you do don't use Linuxconf for setting up Sendmail, it's broke.

B.