Slow client opening is about 95% of the time DNS related - your clients are
having issues accessing DNS.

It could be that they're accessing DNS and getting your public IP address
for the mail server, and they're going through the router to hit Exchange.

Roger D. Seielstad - MCSE
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis Inc.