I have a question which I am hoping someone has run into,  it is a bit perplexing to
me,  and is causing me no end of grief.

Scenario:

I have an exchange 2000 server running in native mode,  it is part of a multi
site/server setup with locations on the ends of t1/e1/adsl connections.  When someone
sends out a mass mailing to customers with a large attachment ( marketing dept comes
to mind ),  the smtp service seems to take all available bandwidth on our adsl pipe,
the adsl was definitely not my idea,  just what I am stuck with for the next month, as
a result, no traffic can get through to the internet,  or through the vpn to the other
locations.  This adsl pipe is a 200k/3Mbs link,  and granted, the 200k side is being
worked hard trying to send the offending email,  but to render the pipe unusable seems
unusual to me, as I have run smtp services off of much slower links for years without
this sort of trouble.

I can essentially turn on the smtp service on the server in question, and after 30
seconds, all of my pings time out,  then turn it off, and everything returns to being
speedy.  Another interesting thing which seems to be happening is that when I turn off
the smtp service,  mail between local users on the same server seems to stop going
through...  which certainly should not happen.

Anyone seen this before?  or have any suggestions?

James Richards
IT Manager Europe
Electronic Theatre Controls