That's odd.  I'm having the same problem with my local school district.
Last Friday I moved my Exchange Server outside my firewall and then mail
went through to the school district.  I moved it back inside and mail
continued to go through.  On Monday when I came in I was getting "host
unreachable" again.  I moved the server back outside the firewall and it
went through.  I moved it back inside the firewall and it has been working
since.  I don't know what's going on.  I don't see anything in my firewall
logs that indicate a blocked communication.  My server seems to be able to
communicate with everyone else just fine.  I too am looking for an answer to
this strange behavior.  I also have Exchange 5.5 SP4 but am running on NT 4.
The server I'm having trouble with is djusd.k12.ca.us (although it seems to
be working right now).

Curt Finley