I see a couple possibilities.

1. They are using POP3 or IMAP connection and have the mailbox set to
leave messages on the server when they download.

2. They are using Outlook in Corporate/Workgroup mode over the VPN but are
working offline and not synchronizing the offline folder after
reading/deleting the messages.

Either possibility should be relatively easy to diagnose over the phone
with the user. If you have them look in their Tools menu, you can tell
what mode they are in by seeing if they have the Services or Accounts
selection. Services means Corporate or Workgroup, Accounts means Internet
Only. From there, you can either check their offline folder settings in CW
mode or have them uncheck the "Leave Messages on Server" option in their
account advanced settings for Internet Only.

Good luck.