From: "Neil Doody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Exchange Discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 10:34 AM
Subject: Sync Folders - Small Bandwith

Recent conversations have caused me to re-think the entire Exchange
strategy that is in place here.  The biggest bulk of that strategy
includes Backups.  The new idea is to go with Item Retention, this
highlights the issue that most of the people round here have Personal
Folders containing there email, which in turn means that there is no way
they are getting backed up.

The problem im faced with is that a lot of our sites have only a 64k
ISDN link which may be linking 10 people or more!  Okay you can
scrutinise me for having such a small link for such an amount of users,
but hey im not going to pay out of my wages for a larger link ;p

Anyway, this problem means that working directly from the Mail Box is
out of the question, the next best thing I guess is Offline-Folders.
Offline-Folders appear to be the perfect the solution, running a small
test over a dial up connection you would think they were the ideal
candidate for this situation.  However, a colleague informs me that it
completely kills the network when you have a few people synchronising
folders over an 64k link.

Do synchronise folders use more bandwidth than your average Personal
Folder?  Are there any other issues to consider when using offline
folders as apposed to personal folders?  Im also informed that when you
make a new folder in your mail box it is not automatically synchronised
with the server?

Please can you give me all your experience and all your info on working
with synchronise folders within a working enterprise.  No matter how
irrelevant you think it may seem, I would like to know exactly what im
in for if I move to this solution.