I'm having trouble with routing emails within an Exchange organization using
a Smarthost.

Here's the situation:
Exchange 2000 is installed in 2 separate AD sites (1 Exchange org).
An eSafe box is installed in Site1 that is supposed to scan all SMTP
traffic.
There is an internal link between Site 1 and Site 2 which are on separate
subnets.
The main MX record points to the eSafe box in Site1.
When I configure the SMTP Virtual Server to send all mail to the eSafe
Smarthost first, no mail routes to Site2.  It stays in a loop between eSafe
and the Exchange server in Site1.  When I check the box to attempt local
delivery first, all mail (including external mail) gets sent directly to the
recipient bypassing the eSafe box.  Since no MX record points directly to
the Exchange server, recipients who do reverse DNS lookups are bouncing the
mail.

MS says that to get this to work, ensure the Exchange server does not have a
path to the Internet.  Can anyone suggest a better way to set this up so
Exchange sends all Internal mail to the Internal Exchange server in Site 2
and External mail to the eSafe box?