From: Ed Crowley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 6:57 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Several questions on E2k and Active Directory

You really ought to learn about the concept of paragrpahs.

Call Veritas and don't accept the answer that the Exchange server should
also be a GC.

Yes, installing Exchange on a DC requires you do to more to get it operating
than if it were a member server.  What happens if the DC function on your
Exchange server fails and requires you to rebuild it?  Your e-mail could be
down for a while!  If the DC is a separate box, and another is available,
you can simply rebuild it and practically nobody will notice.

There is never more than one Configuration domain controller.

Exchange will select domain controllers in the same site.  If there are no
available domain controllers in the site, then after a delay of about 15
minutes (a guess based on observation) it will work from a list of some
number of domain controllers (is it 20?) in the organization without regard
to any proximity calculations.

Just because you make your box a domain controller doesn't mean it will use
itself for that purpose if there are other domain controllers in the same
site.

Ed Crowley MCSE+Internet MVP
Freelance E-Mail Philosopher
Protecting the world from PSTs and Bricked Backups!T