An in place upgrade is the least desirable of all potential upgrade
methodologies. I'd suggest a swing upgrade[1] unless there is no other
mechanism available. What's the burning desire to get the Exchange migration
completed so quickly on the heels of your as of yet unconfirmed successful
W2K migration[2].

[1] And perhaps a good Exchange consultant.
[2] When AD coughs, Exchange catches a cold. [3]
[3] If AD aint right, your Exchange environment will be even less so.