Hi Brett:
        Hummm, where to I start....

        I have never seen this problem.  What is the error message?  Is
it a MAPI error?  I'm betting it is.  I doubt it is really Exchange 2003
related, but more related to the fact that you have Outlook installed on
the Exchange server.

        Yes, I know, we have all done this, but it is a really bad
practice for a couple of reasons. First of all, both Outlook and
Exchange have their own MAPI DLLs.  I'll bet E2K3 has a much more recent
version of the DLLs than Outlook 2000.  If you happen to get MAPI
versions conflicting, it could be bad for both the Exchange server as
well as Outlook.

        It is also bad to do this for security reasons.  Same reason it
is not a good practice to give administrators mailboxes.  The more
surface area you give a potential virus/worm/Trojan/etc..., the more it
can potentially exploit.  Having a full featured MAPI client on the
server or an administrator accidentally running this malware could be
worse than an end-user running it.

        Finally, (I'm assuming you don't have an RC in production) if
you are evaluating E2K3, you should get the RTM version.  It is
available at http://www.microsoft.com/exchange for download.  Exchange
2003 will run on Windows 2000, but it is much happier on Windows 2003.
Consider that during your evaluation, too.   If you are short on
hardware for your evaluation, get yourself a copy of VMWare and build a
virtual workstation that you can run your test client from.  Or even a
couple servers, just plan on lotsa RAM.

Hope this helps a little,

- Jim sends