Wouldn't it be easier to map a network share on the Exchange server and
use that as the location of the temporary .edb files?

<>

If I am running Exchange 5.5 sp4 on NT4.0 sp6a and want to run the
eseutil on another non-exchange server because it has more disk space,
would that other server need to be the same OS level or could I run it
on a Windows 2000 server with sp3 for example?

I'm worried that because of the difference in platform levels, when I
copy the defragged database back there may be problems