From: Russ Payne [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 4:39 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Growing Exchange IS Out of control

Are you referring to the log files or the store file, or both?

We had a problem recently where the log files grew rapidly but we did not
notice any proportional store file growth.  The problem was not the amount
of data/messages a user was transferring, but the number of transactions a
user was generating.  She had sent out a mass email with an RR attached, and
in the process of deleting all the RRs, generated enough transactions to
fill up the log drive.

To isolate the user, we went to Properties of the Private Information Store,
Logons tab, added "Total Ops" to the view, and sorted by Total Ops.  The
"offending" user immediately jumped out at us.  You'll need to check this
while the log files are being generated at a higher-than-normal rate.
(These instructions are for 5.5.  I'm sure there is a 2000 equiv.)

To "fix" the problem, we had her set up a .pst and ran a rule to move the
RRs to the .pst.  This didn't seem to generate as many transactions.

If the growth also involves the store, turn up logging on the IMC (SMTP
connections and possibly Message Archival) and Private Store (Transport
Send/Rcv, I believe, but you may need to try other counters, too), then
check the Event log and IMC  Archive directory.  You should be able to get a
good idea of who is sending the most messages.

Russ