From: Jon Hill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 10:28 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: ActiveX e-mails

Do any of you block incoming e-mails containing ActiveX references?  I just
received a spam that tried to instantiate an object at http://
%363.2%346.%3130.2%30%31%2F%63g%69%2D%62i%6E%2Fa%2E%63%67%69."  I translated
that to a real URL (http://63.246.130.201 /cgi-bin/a.cgi) and let the colo
NOC know, but that only goes so far.

I already have my own Outlook HTML security set to Restricted sites, which
protected me in this particular case, but I don't have any means of pushing
that to the rest of the firm's Outlook users (yes, I'm thinking about
AutoProf; is there anything else?).  I suppose I could try to block "< o b j
e c t" at my e-mail gateway (mailsweeper), but that could be defeated but
adding extra spaces between the "<" and "object."