I would get the check book ready. Sounds like some type of fluky hardware problem maybe.

From: Sandhya Pai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Reply-To: "Exchange Discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Exchange Discussions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: FW: Internet Mail Service Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:19:28 -0400

When I came in yesterday morning everything was fine and then around 10:30-11, the exchange server was hosed. Everyone was locked out of Outlook There were no error messages in the event log. I saw that there were tons of msgs stuck in IMS queue. I tried to refresh but it got locked out. I tried to stop and restart IMS many times but each time it locked up. I moved the messages out of the queues. I deleted the queue file and it still it wouldn't start.

I called PSS.  They had me try to stop and start other services but
everything would hang.  They had me kill everything from Task MGR, set all
the services to manual and restart the server.  After the server  came up,
he had me run eseutil and it reported that both priv and pub were in an
inconsistent state.  After I started all the services manually, everything
came back okay and Information Store was able to recover.

I'm still wondering what happened.  Could one bad email message bring down
the server.  The server is running okay this morning.
Server Info
Windows NT 4.0 sp6a
Exchange 5.5 sp 4
Antigen 7.0

All the service packs and patches up to date.

Thanks for any input...

Sandhya Pai
Manager of Server and Network Services
School of Business