I'm hitting the MSKB as I speak, but I wondered if there's a quick 'n' dirty
answer to this.

Long story short I need to get pub.edb back from last nights backup,
someones outlook crashed doing a move of a load of contacts, the contacts
appear to have mysteriously lost all their category assignments.

I have a verified online backup from last night done using ntbackup, what I
would like to do is to do an offline restore (for lack of a better word) so
that I have the pub.edb file, I'll then look at building a box with Exchange
5.5 on it and recovering the .edb file to it.

It seems ntbackup will only let me restore the entire IS (50-odd gb vs 2gb
for just the public store), and only to the original location, I'm pretty
happy once I have the .edb file that I can bring it up on a recovery box.

I'll admit to having been caught somewhat one the hop here, I've read the
disaster whitepapers but they appear to assume you want to recover the lot,
onto the original box (which is the scenario I'd taken into account).

regards,
Paul
--
Paul Hutchings