Exchange 5.5sp4 running on Windows 2000 SP3, 180 day deleted item retention
enabled on public and private stores.

We have a public folder with around 2000 contacts in it.  Recently the
people who look after those contacts have been making a lot of changes, and
a couple of times have managed to stuff up the contents of the folder
(losing all the assigned categories).

I can't watch them whilst they work (and wouldn't want to) and whilst I
suspect it's been down to finger trouble I look after the mail servers so if
they need the contents back as they were it comes my way.

There's been nothing in the dumpster, I'm assuming changing a contact
doesn't count as a deletion of the original in the way moving it would?

I don't do bricks level backups, only online backups using ntbackup, and
it's a PITA to restore the databases to a recover server as there's about
50gb in all to deal with.

One thought was to set something up that every X hours simply copies the
contents of the folder to a backup folder which is read-only to all but the
service account (or whatever the copy job would run under).

I'm unsure what, if any options there may be to acheive this automagically -
appreciate any thoughts (guillotining their fingers isn't an option).

regards,
Paul