If you use the standard edition of MS Exchange 5.5 the max is:

        PRIV.EDB                16GB
        PUB.EDB         16GB

Period.

If you use the Enterprise edition of MS Exchange 5.5 then your only real
limit is capability of your hardware.  I have seen plenty
of databases over 100GB and they function well.  The negatives to DB's this
size are primarily in the area of disaster recovery.  If you
and your customer can live with that then go for it.

Nate Couch
EDS Messaging