Mr. Schwartz,

Thank-you for reading "Achieving Process Profitability" and giving it a
fair and honest review both here and on Amazon.com. I hope that you
enjoyed it.

I agree that "Achieving Process Profitability" does not touch on
"information" or "infrastructure". I intentionally left these out in order
to focus the book on "process", which I feel is, by far, the least
understood aspect of IT to most individuals within IT as well as the
businesses they serve. You are absolutely correct that it is difficult, if
not impossible, to build solid and useful IT systems without first having
a solid and supportable infrastructure in place. However, I feel that this
point is understood by most individuals in IT and most businesses. Whether
or not they act on their understanding is another matter, but most people
comprehend that you cannot build a house on a weak foundation.

In terms of information, the information portion of IT that must be dealt
with in businesses is the information that is an input or an output of
particular business processes. As such, if one focuses on process and on
achieving process profitability, the information about and surrounding
those processes is taken care as a matter of course. However, it is
difficult to get into specifics regarding such information because it is
so unique to each business. This probably could have been stated a little
clearer in "Achieving Process Profitability".

I believe that there are a lot more aspects of the book that are very
useful for both individuals and businesses such as the chapters on
learning and corporate memory, micro-processes, specialization and
opportunity cost. "Achieving Process Profitability" is certainly not aimed
at re-hashing TQM or ITIL but instead focused on providing a solid
foundation for how to apply those concepts to IT and transform IT within a
business from a cost center to a profit center. I believe that winning
this battle is of paramount importance and will lead to winning battles
over infrastructure spending and the like. If businesses can see and
understand that IT is a profit center for their company, then they will be
much more likely to spend the money necessary to upgrade and replace aging
infrastructure. It becomes a return on investment argument that is easily
won if IT is providing the value it should be to a business. "Oh, we have
a system that will save the company millions of dollars but it won't work
unless we upgrade our infrastructure? Done." The economic justification
for IT and IT's systems must be understood by a company first before they
will make intelligent and informed decisions regarding IT.

Again, I want to thank-you for holding up your end of the bargain. As you
stated, "Achieving Process Profitability" is a short read. I wrote it this
way because I feel that it is emminently more readable than those other
titles you mentioned and will open-up the study of process within business
to a wider audience than just those willing to read those relatively dry
tomes.