-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Fyodorov, Andrey
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 12:38 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: strange problems

Hi all.

We are having some interesting problems with one of our Exchange 2000
SP3 cluster.

I wonder is anyone here has seen something like this.

It seems that whenever a DC *in another AD site* goes offline, this
particular Exchange server starts acting up: users can't connect to the
server with Outlook, ESM reports that the stores are dismounted, refreshing
the storage group view produces an error that Information Store service may
not be running, intermittently the stores seem to mount again, then again
appear dismounted.

Why would Exchange start acting up like this if one of many DCs goes
offline, especially if this DC is in another AD site?

We end up failing over the cluster to another node and the server is happy
again, until next time.

Also another (but I believe related) issue - today a DC in the same AD site
went offline and caused all users whose mailboxes are homed on this cluster
to receive "Error 500 Internal Server Error" in OWA.
We had to change the server properties under the DS Access tab to manually
list "good" DCs instead of letting Exchange discover DCs automatically, then
failed over the cluster - OWA started working fine again.

The other two Exchange 2000 SP3 clusters did not get affected by this at
all. To the best of my knowledge all these clusters are built the same.
They sit in the same rack. They are on the same VLAN. They use the same
hardware. They are up to the same SP and patch levels.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!