Because it's refusing the connection right away?  If I use sam spade to test
smtp connectivity to that address it accepts mail from work ("proper" static
IP) whilst at home I get the same as you, presumably because although I'm on
a static IP it's in an IP range that's publicly known to be home ADSL.

regards,
Paul