-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rob Hackney
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 5:15 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: strange headers

Hi, our organisation received an email yesterday and I don't quite know why
it appeared the way it did.
Basically, someone sent an email from a Hotmail address yet the 'from'
field did not display the hotmail address, but an address that looked as tho
it was from our network.  Now I know that it is possible to spoof addresses
and so on but I didn't think this was possible thru hotmail tho having
looked on their site, it appears you can do POP and the line below 'mail
pickup service seems to indicate that.  I don't use hotmail so I don't know
whether POP could have been used.
Would someone be able to look at the headers below and tell me what
happened?   I believe that someone did use a POP thru hotmail and
spoofed the address but would like confirmation or correction I have also
included the original mail but deleted some parts.
(incidentally, what is the best practice for posting headers?  should I
block our sensitive stuff or is it easy enough to get hold of that it is not
worth the bother?) Much obliged Rob

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0