What filtering software are you using?   Tumbleweed MMS is a great if pricey
package.  It catches a GREAT deal of the spam that comes in.  However we
just tag it and pass it on through (No I'm not proud of it).  At some point
I am hoping to be able to just drop spam all together and expect to see
upwards of 70% of our spam dissappear.  My internal network will be happy
happy.

As others have said, turning off your IMS is not a good idea.  Maybe there
is some configuration to be done on your spam filtering software that would
increase its efficiency.

With that said.  Whats wrong with the AT service or the Windows scheduler?