I believe that clusters, whether active-active or active-passive, provide
poor business value.  I truly believe that clusters actually reduce
availability for most users; the posts in this form help confirm that.  The
reported list of problems are long but the list of those who believe a
cluster has "saved their bacon" (an Ed Woodrick term) is tiny.  Those who
are considered "experts" on this list, its companion lists, and newsgroups
(and take that moniker for whaterver it's worth) nearly unanimously (if not
fully unanimously--I can't recall an MVP who thinks they're worth the
effort, but there may be one) agree with me.

With two-way clusters, why bother with an active-active at all?  You have to
scale each machine so that it can handle all of the users, so what do you
get by running each node at half capacity?  You're just buying two machines
where one will do.

You should buy the most internally redundant system you can and consider it
to be a single-node cluster.  Properly configured, Exchange really does fail
very rarely, and clusters provide no protection from most failure points.
For example, clusters do nothing to reduce any problems related to
corruption or disk space management since they share the same database and
log files.

What does a cluster protect you against versus an internally redundant
single-node system?  Not much more than a failure of a motherboard.  And how
often does that happen?  Does it justify more than doubling the system cost?
Just about everything else can be made redundant.

One of the pimary arguments I hear for clustering is that it allows an
organization to make its service level agreements.  Frankly, if an SLA is
written such that the business cost of a planned outage on, say, one Sunday
morning a month makes it cost-effective to deploy a cluster, then the
business value of the SLA needs to be revisited.

Ed Crowley MCSE+Internet MVP
Freelance E-Mail Philosopher
Protecting the world from PSTs and Bricked Backups!T