Since HHS is a federal agency, you should be using the Federal Bridge
Certification Authority (FBCA) to connect to other Federal Agencies.
Currently,  use of the FBCA requires certain proprietary APIs to do
certificate validation.
Here is a link to more information about the Federal bridge:
http://csrc.nist.gov/pki/fbca/welcome.html

Russell W. Chung
800.419.8726
+1/818.957.4925