See, Greg?  There's a point to be gleaned from your response which numerous
individuals have been trying to make and I happen to agree.  >From what I can see, you
verbally accosted Jim without prior provocation and then recanted.  Sorry doesn't cut
it and neither does your extremely poor attempt at humor to lighten the mood.  Ya...I
see your Schwartz is as big as mine......  [no shot at you, Jim!]

I am aware of Jim, his career, his professionalism, his reputation [from this and
other lists] and happen to know he is a member of two different professions [one being
IT], each with their own professional codes of ethics [written or unwritten] and the
two worlds don't collide.  As I see things, the two professions work very well with
each other, can't really operate without each other and the two arenas apparently have
no problems with titles, honorary or otherwise, ethics and, in fact, encourage
certifications and memberships in elite groups.  Could that include being an MVP?
Sure!  Would obtaining MSCE credentials help in the IT arena?  Of course!  Would those
memberships have any negative impact on either of the worlds Jim or numerous others
work in?  No.  Like many others on this list, I care not if Jim, Ed, or hundreds of
others [Hi Missy!] are green, pink or live in Sunken R'lyeh - the knowledge these
highly experienced and helpful individuals carry and impart to others for, well,
NOTHING, is worth the price of this list's membership.  Experience speaks volumes over
titles and certifications yet titles can and do boost credibility in many cases.  If
helping others deploy and maintain a Microsoft product while *NOT* being on
Microsoft's payroll and said individual is honored with a title of MVP [one doesn't
sign up or ask for that, ya know - it's given] and *IF* named MVP gets a key chain or
a kewpie doll dressed like Bill Gates or a CD case with my grandmother's picture on it
for his or her time and trouble, then I say why not.  Unethical?  Hell no.  Vendor
whore?  Maybe - and I really don't mind at all.  Doesn't change my attitude nor does
it impact my respect for these folks.  Does that make me unethical for not agreeing
with you about someone else's ethics?  I don't care to know your answer because I, and
those who know me, know better than you.  Nothing more to see here - citizens move
along.

I've been on this list for 4 or 5 years and whether you were around at inception, I
have no knowledge.  What I *do* know is every time you post to a thread you impose
your theory of "professional IT ethics", imply or outright accuse individuals of being
unethical and wrong according to your standards, the topic goes south and for the next
3 days it's all about you and your semantics.  I'll give you credit for standing your
ground but we've all heard it ad nauseum and I don't believe any amount of rhetoric on
your part is going to change any minds so would you please do us all a favor and
either drop the drama queen/diva attitude or drop off to Sunken R'lyeh?

Oh - are you an MCSE?  Would having those initials behind your name enhance your
credibility, marketability, business ventures and/or profits?  Would obtaining such a
title be unethical and wrong?  If having those credentials put food in your children's
mouths and a roof over their heads, would your attitude change any?

Splash.  Out.

Barry J. Horner
NT Server/Exchange/WWW Administrator
Central Community College - Grand Island, NE
(V) 308.398.7361    (F) 308.398.7399