As Tony says, search under Single Instance Storage (aka SIS) for the
techie explanation.

In the case your friend cites, he's wrong. What will happen is that your
mail gets sent to 1000 people, and there is one copy of it. Now if one
of them opens that mail and annotates it with their thoughts on what you
said, and then saves it, then the server will hold one copy of his
altered mail for him and 1 other copy for the other 999 people.

--
Robert Moir
Microsoft MVP